How to ApplyContact UsThe Mosaic - Student Newsletter
International Student Programs - Home Page


Renew my passport or visa


You must have a valid passport at all times. In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, some countries have an agreement with the United States that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. (See for a list of these countries.)

Many countries will allow you to renew your passport while in the United States. The other alternative is to renew your passport when you return home for a visit. You need to determine your country’s requirements and timelines for renewing passports. Generally, you can find renewal information on your embassy’s website.


It is not necessary for you to have a valid visa while you’re in the US, as long as you are maintaining your status. Visa renewals cannot be done within the US. ISP recommends that you plan your international travel carefully so as to have time to renew expired visas while in your home country.


updated September 2015

back to top

� 2008 Highline College - International Student Programs  |  Email:  |  Privacy Policy  |  Public Disclosure