Get a Social Security Card
F-1 students who have authorization to work in the United States may
apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). A Social Security Number is
required in order to get paid. F-1 students may NOT apply for an SSN
unless they have authorization to work.
Follow these instructions to get a Social Security Card:
1) Get a job on campus. You cannot get a social security number until
you have been offered a job. For information on on-campus employment,
2) Get a letter from your employer that says you have been hired.
Submit this letter to the ISP front desk.
3) Submit the SEVIS Page Request form at
4) Check your Highline email. An ISP advisor will contact you when your
SEVIS Page and Social Security Support Letter is ready to be picked up
(generally within 2 business days).
5) Visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) Office with the
following original documents:
- Employer Letter
- Social Security Support Letter from the ISP Office
- I-94, Arrival/Departure Record (available at
- I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status
Local SSA Offices
151 SW 156 STREET
BURIEN, WA 98166
321 RAMSAY WAY, SUITE 401
KENT, WA 98032
Please note: Students who work and get paid in the US,
including any on-campus employment, must file taxes by April 15 each
year. Please visit our "File U.S. taxes" page
for further instructions.
Last Updated January 2017