How to ApplyContact UsThe Mosaic - Student Newsletter
International Student Programs - Home Page


Get a Social Security Card

F-1 students who have authorization to work in the United States may apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). A Social Security Number is required in order to get paid. F-1 students may NOT apply for an SSN unless they have authorization to work.

Follow these instructions to get a Social Security Card:
1) Get a job on campus. You cannot get a social security number until you have been offered a job. For information on on-campus employment, please see

2) Get a letter from your employer that says you have been hired. Submit this letter to the ISP front desk.

3) Submit the SEVIS Page Request form at 

4) Check your Highline email. An ISP advisor will contact you when your SEVIS Page and Social Security Support Letter is ready to be picked up (generally within 2 business days).

5) Visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) Office with the following original documents:

  • Employer Letter
  • Social Security Support Letter from the ISP Office
  • I-94, Arrival/Departure Record (available at
  • I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status
  • Passport

Local SSA Offices

151 SW 156 STREET
BURIEN, WA 98166
Phone: 1-800-772-1213

MTThF 9:00AM-4:00PM
W 9:00AM-12:00PM
KENT, WA 98032
Phone: 1-800-772-1213

MTThF 9:00AM-4:00PM
W 9:00AM-12:00PM

Please note: Students who work and get paid in the US, including any on-campus employment, must file taxes by April 15 each year. Please visit our "File U.S. taxes" page for further instructions.
Last Updated January 2017

� 2008 Highline College - International Student Programs  |  Email:  |  Privacy Policy  |  Public Disclosure